Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Love of Color Pencils












I have a passion for colored pencils because it creates luminous color and sensitive line when blended correctly. The pigments can be layered for wonderful effects, instead of being limited to line only. I also like the process of laying down beautiful color on great paper or illustration board. I develop the process tonally in nearly solid areas of color, the paper's texture plays a big part in how the final surface of the artwork will appear. The interplay between pencil and paper is very captivating. This medium is very forgiving. It's possible to work and rework areas without the result of looking overworked.

I layer the pencils, stroke by stroke, and the building of new hues, geometrical patterns and forms in this way allows me to see what I'm doing with contiguity.
The process requires working slowly, using up to a dozen or more layers of pencil color, constantly overlapping and manipulating the surface. These techniques permit me to generate vibrant and engaging color.


No comments:

Post a Comment